StrongDC++ is designed as an alternate DC++ which is based on the popular Direct Connect clone "DC++".
Since DC++ is open source, you can download the source code and start modifying it. This is what I have done.
To do this, you need to stick to GPL (GNU General Public License). That's why I release my modifications as well. This client support separate downloading.
Direct Connect allows you to share files over the internet without restrictions or limits.
Because DC++ is a self contained C++ program it doesn't need installing as such - simply download and unzip the zip file, copy the contents into a directory and double click the .exe application.
Setup is simple too - once the application is running simply go to File>Settings... or click the icon on the Toolbar and you should see the settings pop-up.
DC++ is very easy to use. File>Public Hubs (or CTRL+P) brings up the Public Hubs and Connection Window then all you do is simply wait for the hub list to appear and double click a hub to connect to it.
Often the description next to a hub name in the hub list will contain a summary of the rules of the hub - some hubs are very much neo-modus only and will have the words NO DC++ in the description. Do not bother trying to connect to these hubs they will kick you out.
Here are some key features of "StrongDC++":
Safe segmented downloading:
· Download one file from more users simultaneously without corruption! This way of downloading dramatically improves download speed, especially for fast connections, and it's safer than classical downloading. Segment position ans size are decided by file size and chunks speed.
Partial file sharing:
· Allows downloading and uploading parts of file which is being currently downloaded by you or other users. This increases download speed and file expanding over network.
Download/Upload speed limiter:
· Avoids a full line usage and leaves some speed for web browsing. Realise, that download speed limit is dependent on upload speed limit which is dependent on amount of opened slots/hubs.
Automatic slow downloads disconnecting:
· Disconnects sources who speed is under certain value for certain time. If download speed during segmented downloading goes too low, the source is disconnected regardless the set value to avoid unnecessary slot usage.
· You can set sounds according to situation, change color scheme or icons, show popup balloons, see emoticons...